Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gaming and Education

As a teacher of second grade students, I know how much they love to be involved and active while learning or practicing skills. Last year my school was able to purchase a mobile lab that housed laptop computers for teachers to check out and use with their students throughout the course of the day. I knew I wanted my students to be able to use the computers in an effective way that allowed them to grow or expand on a skill. I decided to focus on the area of math facts since that seemed to be an area that my students were having some trouble with. I came across a game called Tugboat Addition from http://www.arcademicskillbuilders.com. This game allowed students to not only work on their addition facts, but also to compete against their classmates. The competition aspect was a huge motivator for students who were struggling with their math facts more than the other classmates.

Image used with permission from http://3.bp.blogspot.com/


Another great aspect to this game was the fact that I could strategically group the students into various groups each week, so those that were struggling were not constantly playing against the students who knew their math facts very well. I could tell the students really loved playing this because they would often beg to play it on days that we did not have the mobile lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment