Sunday, June 5, 2011

Assistive/Adaptive Technologies

As I was watching the video of Dr. Amy Staples and researching more about assistive technologies, I have realized that I have made several adaptations for students by using different assistive technologies without even realizing it. Simple things as in giving a student a different gripper, allowing them to use different programs to help their reading and writing skills, highlighter tape, and even talking calculators. After learning more about assistive technologies, I feel like I have a better understanding of different programs and opportunities out there for me to use within my classroom for students who need some extra help.

New ideas/applications/opportunities
One new application that I have learned about it is Write:OutLoud. This program has many different features that allow the struggling student to type what they are thinking without having to worry about spending too much time sounding out words and getting words spelled correctly. I think this would be a great addition in the lives of a few students that I had this school year. This would allow them to focus more on the story they wish to write than the actual process and their spelling. Eventually, this program will help to improve their writing and spelling skills. For more information about Write:OutLoud go to http://www.donjohnston.com/products/write_outloud/index.html
Image used with permission from http://www.enablemart.com
Another application that I found was a device called Coin-U-Later. This device has realistic looking coins and a dollar bill on it. This allows students that struggle with money sense an easier time counting and adding money. In addition to its ability to be like a calculator, there are also a variety of games that you can play on it to allow students more time to practice their money skills.


Locations for Attaining Adaptive Technologies
One website I located while researching was our AEA’s website. There is a page dedicated to numerous resources and websites to go to attain not only information about different assistive technologies, but also some different websites that will let you order, borrow, and download software and other technologies to assist your struggling students. Prior to researching this topic, I had no idea our AEA had a person whose specific job was assistive technologies. This has opened my eyes to a whole new world of helping students by using technology. The website is http://www.aea1.k12.ia.us/assistivetech/resources.html

Another website I located while researching was enablemart. This website sells a variety of assistive technologies that can be used with students within the classroom. As I was looking around at all the different assistive technologies that they offer, I was completely surprised at how many programs, devices, and softwares there are that will assist students in a variety of ways. The website is http://www.enablemart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment